(If you are looking for current information on Teen Library Council, please visit our volunteer page)
CALLING ALL TEENS!
Let your voice be heard—help create the teen experiences you would like to see at the Roanoke Public Library by joining Teen Library Council. TLC is made up of 12 teen volunteers who actively promote library services to their peers, and participate in creating and implementing teen library programming. You will develop leadership skills, learn to work as a team, and earn community service hours. Opportunities for service hours include attending TLC meetings, participating in the Adopt-a-shelf program, as well as planning, promoting, and presenting teen library programs.
WHAT IS TLC?
- A group of 12 teens whose goal is to create, plan, promote, and present teen library programming
- Perks include volunteer hours, annual library lock-in, and opportunities for giveaways like free advanced copies of books
- TLC members in good standing may request a personalized letter of recommendation
REQUIREMENTS TO JOIN:
- Must be between the ages of 13 and 18 (by June 25th)
- Attend all monthly meetings, and at least two special events (see dates below)
- Be friendly and enjoy meeting new people
- Be willing to participate in discussions and voice your opinions
- Respect the opinions of others
- Promote the library and library programs through word of mouth and social media
Teen Library Council will meet on the first Saturday of each month (with a few exceptions) from 2pm to 4pm.
2016-2017 dates: June 25 (initial meeting), August 6, September 10, October 1, November 5, December 3, January 7, February 4, March 4, April 1, May 6
SPECIAL EVENTS: Annual Writers’ Conference (September 3-4), Celebrate Roanoke (October 8), more TBA
- Fill out and return the attached application to the library by June 11th @ 6pm.
- Librarians will review applications, and contact qualifying participants with further instructions by June 18th. (Council is limited to 12 volunteers)
- Chosen members will attend initial meeting on JUNE 25 @ 2pm
- If you are not accepted, you may reapply in May 2017.
If you are simply looking for a way to meet the volunteer requirements of a school club/organization, this is not the program for you. We are looking for students who are eager to get involved in the library,creative, responsible, and self-motivated. If that’s you, fill out an application today!
Or, pick one up at the library’s circulation desk.
If you have any questions, be sure to contact me!